NotesFAQContact Us
Collection
Advanced
Search Tips
Back to results
ERIC Number: EJ1006708
Record Type: Journal
Publication Date: 2013
Pages: 4
Abstractor: ERIC
ISBN: N/A
ISSN: ISSN-0882-7249
Water Recycling in Schools & Universities
Meeten, Nick
Facilities Manager, v29 n2 p28-31 Mar-Apr 2013
Consider the waste streams generated in schools and universities. So what is in the typical used water generated in schools and universities? It is typically about 99 percent water, with the remaining 1 percent mainly made up of organic compounds. Used water contains nutrients such as nitrogen and phosphorous. When one judges it on its quality, it is liquid fertilizer. Of course, used water also contains bugs, bacteria, and viruses that can make people sick. However, thanks to schools and universities, people have learned a few things over the last 200 years. With this accumulated knowledge, experience, and advances in technology, these days it is quite easy to treat used water to allow it to be safely recycled for non-potable reuse. The costs of these recycling systems are steadily coming down, while the reliability and rewards (both financial and environmental) are steadily growing.
APPA: Association of Higher Education Facilities Officers. 1643 Prince Street, Alexandria, VA 22314. Tel: 703-684-1446; Fax: 703-543-2772; e-mail: appa@appa.org; Web site: http://www.appa.org
Publication Type: Journal Articles; Reports - Descriptive
Education Level: Elementary Secondary Education; Higher Education; Postsecondary Education
Audience: N/A
Language: English
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: N/A
Identifiers - Location: Germany; Mexico