- Creating Citations Using Elements in the ERIC Record: This video walks through the creation of citations for three common types of materials in ERIC: journal articles, reports, and conference papers. The most frequently required style guides in education research, including Chicago, APA, and MLA, are used as references for creating the sample citations. The video demonstrates how to identify the elements required by the style guides in the ERIC record.
- Finding Full-Text Materials in ERIC: ERIC has more than 385,000 full-text materials available for download free of charge. This video provides guidance on how to find full text in ERIC and the types of full-text materials that are available.
- Finding the Right Descriptors for Your Search: This video helps ERIC searchers find descriptors that match their research topic. There are two main methods for finding descriptors: 1) by searching or browsing the ERIC Thesaurus, and 2) by reviewing the descriptors that appear in ERIC search limiters and on relevant records in ERIC search results.
- Using ERIC Links to IES Publication and Funding Information: This video addresses the links in some ERIC records to IES publication details and funding information. The video covers where to find the links in ERIC records and the kinds of information that is available.
- How ERIC Author Links Help Users: This video describes how the author links found in some ERIC records can help users looking for specific author information.
- How to Use ERIC Identifiers: This video describes and demonstrates the use of identifiers to enhance searches in ERIC. Identifiers are standardized proper nouns and a controlled vocabulary for ERIC.
- How Do You Use the What Works Clearinghouse Links in ERIC Records? ERIC connects users to a wealth of information beyond what‘s found in an individual ERIC record. Now, some ERIC records have links to What Works Clearinghouse (WWC) study pages. This connection can help researchers and other users drill down into valuable information about a particular study, as well as other research on the same topic. This video demonstrates linking from an ERIC record to the features available on WWC study pages.
- Tips and Best Practices for Writing ERIC Abstracts: Writing an abstract to summarize your work? This video describes what an abstract is, defines the key elements, and provides tips and best practices to help you write a good abstract.
- How Does ERIC Assign the Peer-Review Flag? This video describes how ERIC determines if materials have been peer reviewed, and how the peer-review flag gets assigned to ERIC records.
- About ERIC: This video covers basic information, including what‘s in the online library, who ERIC‘s main user groups are, and how to access and use the free website at eric.ed.gov.
- Searching eric.ed.gov: Looking to get the most out of your ERIC search? At eric.ed.gov, powerful search technology makes finding education research easy and efficient.
- How ERIC Can Help You Write a Research Paper: The video provides step-by-step instruction on how to narrow your topic, use search filters, and take advantage of the ERIC Thesaurus to target specific resources.
- How ERIC Selects New Sources: This video describes the formal process for selecting new sources that enhance the usefulness of the collection
- Tips for Using the ERIC Online Submission System: Learn best practices when submitting research to ERIC
- IES Public Access Policy: How Grantees and Contractors Meet Requirements by Submitting Work to ERIC: This video covers the fundamentals of grantee and contractor submission to ERIC: who is affected, what you must submit, where and when to submit, and why it is important to upload your work to ERIC
Webinars and presentations
- ERIC Selection Policy - Proposed Updates: This webinar presentation discusses why ERIC periodically needs to review and update the ERIC Selection Policy, and share this year's proposed updates.
- Using ERIC for Systematic Evidence Reviews: This video demonstrates how to conduct a systematic evidence review using the search tools available on the ERIC website at eric.ed.gov.
- ERIC Update 2017: This webinar describes how recent enhancements in ERIC, plus our ongoing work and future plans, benefit ERIC stakeholders
- How Records Get into ERIC: A Look Behind the Scenes: This video provides a look behind the scenes in ERIC to find out how materials are selected, acquired, and processed to ensure a fresh and vibrant collection.
- ERIC Improvements to Enrich Your Research:This video describes ERIC‘s new fields and other major enhancements. The new fields added to IES-sponsored publications more closely connect the ERIC and IES websites to improve online research in ERIC. The fields link ERIC users to additional publication and funding information, study review guide information from the What Works Clearinghouse, and other IES resources. The video also covers ERIC identifiers that have been standardized to improve searching, links to author pages on third party websites, and recently released videos and infographics.
- ERIC 2016 Semi-Annual Update: This video covers ERIC‘s major accomplishments in the past year, such as the updates made to the ERIC selection policy and Thesaurus, and planned future enhancements. The upcoming enhancements include improvements to identifiers, hyperlinks to be added to ERIC records, restoring unreadable PDFs, and new communications products
- ERIC Update: 2015 Accomplishments and Future Enhancements: This video covers ERIC‘s major accomplishments in 2015, including content updates, policy revisions, and the update to the ERIC Thesaurus, as well as new work initiated in 2016.
- ERIC Town Hall: Changes to the Selection Policy: This virtual Town Hall Meeting was held on September 15, 2015 to discuss proposed changes to ERIC‘s Peer Review Policy with the ERIC user community. The video presents background information on the proposed policy and feedback from Town Hall participants.
The ERIC Thesaurus – A Key to Finding Resources in ERIC: Since
1966, the ERIC Thesaurus has been a critical component of ERIC. Find out how the
Thesaurus supports ERIC users in their search for education resources. You will
also hear about the work that takes place behind the scenes to maintain this large
- Access the videos here:
- Download the Transcript (PDF)
- Download the Slides (PDF)
Annual Update: Hear a presentation given at ALA Annual 2015 and SLA
2015 in June 2015. This presentation highlights major achievements that we have
made in the past year and then focus on big initiatives that we are working on going
- ERIC Users Committee Update—ALA Midwinter: Hear an update to the Education and Behavioral Sciences Section of the Association of College and Research Libraries (a division of the American Library Association) on 2/22/2015.
- Contributing Research to ERIC through the Online Submission System: Are you a federal grantee? Or an author interested in making your work available to millions of ERIC searchers? If so, please see our latest presentation on ERIC‘s Online Submission System, now available on YouTube.
- ERIC: Why did IES Redesign the ERIC Website?: Download this presentation to CENDI, an inter-agency working group of science and technical information professionals, on the redesign of the ERIC website.
- Restoring Access to ERIC‘s PDFs: ERIC hosted a webinar on the ERIC PDF restoration project on September 16, 2014. The presentation addressed why ERIC removed access to full text documents and what process the ERIC team took to restore the PDFs.
- ERIC Update: Increasing Access to Full Text, Peer Reviewed Education Research: Missed us at ALA Annual 2014, but still want to know the latest developments in ERIC? Check out our video recording of our presentation to learn what changes have we seen in ERIC in the past year, what changes are coming, and how public access will impact ERIC.
- ERIC Year in Review 2017: Highlights of ERIC's new features and statistics on content, sources, and ERIC usage for the year.
- How ERIC Develops Thesaurus Terms: ERIC develops terms for the Thesaurus to keep it current, relevant, and useful. Thesaurus descriptors are used to index ERIC content, and searching with Thesaurus descriptors increases the relevance of your results.
- ERIC Selection Policy: This infographic walks users through what types of materials are eligible to be included in ERIC.
- Who uses ERIC?: This infographic highlights the main users for ERIC.
- What are ERIC Identifiers This infographic describes and demonstrates the use of identifiers to enhance searches in ERIC.
- ERIC Year in Review 2016: Provides highlights of new features and statistics on new content, sources, and ERIC usage in 2016.
- Who Contributes Content to ERIC?: Provides metrics related to ERIC‘s content providers including journal publishers, grey literature and book sources, and individual contributors.
- ERIC in 2015: A year in review infographic providing statistics on ERIC usage, the collection, sources, and new products and services in 2015.
- How Research Becomes an ERIC Record: Depicts how research materials progress from source selection through record processing and addition to the ERIC collection.