NotesFAQContact Us
Search Tips
ERIC Number: ED279870
Record Type: RIE
Publication Date: 1987-Mar
Pages: 8
Abstractor: N/A
Assistance to Displaced Farmers. Issues in Agricultural Policy. Agriculture Information Bulletin Number 508.
Mazie, Sara Mills; Bluestone, Herman
Evolving federal, state, and local government programs are helping displaced farmers and their families make a transition to nonfarm jobs. To make a successful transition, farm families need personal support, which could include counseling, moral support, help in assessing their financial condition, and legal and technical information to help them adjust to new circumstances and make decisions in selling their farm assets. Displaced farm families need financial bridges--a source of income until they can obtain work in the nonfarm sector. They also need help to find work. Skills assessment, classroom and on-the-job training, and job search and relocation assistance can help them find new work. The main federally funded source of help is the dislocated worker programs authorized by the Job Training Partnership Act (JTPA). Displaced farmers may be eligible for still other JTPA programs. (YLB)
Publication Type: Opinion Papers
Education Level: N/A
Audience: N/A
Language: English
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: Economic Research Service (USDA), Washington, DC.
Note: Brief segments that use blue ink on a blue background will not reproduce clearly.