ERIC Number: ED162439
Record Type: RIE
Publication Date: 1978
Reference Count: 0
From One Generation to the Next--160 Years of Catholic Education in Saint Louis.
Faherty, William Barnaby; And Others
The history of Catholic schools began in the Archdiocese of St. Louis 160 years ago, significantly antedating Catholic schools on the eastern seaboard. The first Catholic college and university west of the Mississippi were in St. Louis. Catholic education began in St. Louis with four giants, Bishop Louis Du Bourg, Bishop Joseph Rosati, Blessed Philippine Duchesne, and Peter Verhaegen. They produced extensive development of Catholic education by 1840. In the early 19th century anti-Catholic feeling was prevalent in the United States, and in St. Louis, rioters threatened Catholic schools, and one school for blacks was closed. Public schools were Protestant in orientation and Catholic schools were considered un-American. During the latter half of the 19th century, parochial schools in St. Louis developed dramatically under Archbishop Peter Kenrick. In 1896 his successor Archbishop Kain insisted that every pastor establish a parochial school and every Catholic child attend these schools. In 1903 his successor Archbishop Glennon encouraged the development of Catholic high schools. In 1911 three such schools opened, although finances were a continual problem. After 1946 Catholic schools became increasingly racially integrated and their numbers continued to grow. However, enrollments declined throughout the sixties, and in the seventies schools were consolidated. Yet the St. Louis system today numbers 200 schools and is one of the ten largest Catholic systems in the United States. (Author/JM)
Publication Type: N/A
Education Level: N/A
Authoring Institution: Catholic Archdiocese of Saint Louis, MO.
Identifiers: Archdiocese of St Louis MO
Note: Photos may not reproduce clearly