NotesFAQContact Us
Search Tips
Back to results
ERIC Number: ED591533
Record Type: Non-Journal
Publication Date: 2019
Pages: 5
Abstractor: As Provided
Structural Changes in Teacher Education Programmes: Some Ground Realities
Areekkuzhiyil, Santhosh
Online Submission, University News v57 n1 p66-68 2019
National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE) further emphasized the importance of school internship for B Ed students by releasing a frame work and guidelines document for school internship in the year 2016. The total period of field engagement was decided to be 20 weeks, of which 4 weeks were to be in the first year and 16 weeks in the second year. Out of the 16 weeks allotted for school internship in the second year, two weeks are to be spent for community works and the remaining 14 weeks for teaching and related activities in the school. The guidelines recommend the student teachers to spend 80% of their school internship in government schools and the remaining 20% in private schools. They are also advised to get exposure at secondary and primary level classes or secondary and higher secondary classes. The guidelines also emphasise the need for student teachers to undergo internship in urban, rural as well as tribal schools. However, in any circumstances the student teachers are not to be sent to more than two schools. There are sixteen specifically mentioned tasks ranging from observing classroom teaching of regular teachers to community work/survey which have to be completed by the student teachers during the period of school internship. This comprehensive list of tasks is meant to provide the student teachers all the available opportunities to hone their skills as a teacher. Few year has been completed with the implementation of structural changes in the teacher education programme in the country. Discussions and debates are taking place about the prone and cones of the restructured teacher education programmes across the country. Meanwhile the Government of India has been announced the four year integrated programme of teacher education from the year 2019 onwards. In this context an attempt has been made to analyses some of the field realities of implementation of the restructured teacher education programme.
Publication Type: Journal Articles; Reports - Descriptive
Education Level: Higher Education; Postsecondary Education
Audience: N/A
Language: English
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: N/A
Identifiers - Location: India