ERIC Number: EJ951284
Record Type: Journal
Publication Date: 2011
Reference Count: 70
Action Research as Primary Vehicle for Inquiry in the Professional Development School
Tunks, Jeanne L.
Yearbook of the National Society for the Study of Education, v110 n2 p463-485 2011
This Yearbook chapter, a compilation of multiple sources, presents both the history of action research and an analysis of reported action research in the professional development school (PDS) between 1992 and 2010. The history begins prior to the inception of the PDS and provides a theoretical premise for action research in the PDS in subsequent years. Sixty-four action research PDS articles used to develop the chapter, derived from EBSCOhost searches, resulted in 38, or 59%, of the articles from ERIC databases. The remaining 26 articles, or 41%, were published in refereed and nonrefereed journals. The 33 other sources used for the chapter consisted of books, chapters in books, reports, Web pages, and monographs from agencies. The chapter represents an in-depth study of action research in the PDS with recommendations for future practice and collaboration.
Descriptors: Professional Development Schools, Action Research, Professional Development, Inquiry, Educational History, Intellectual History, Educational Practices, Journal Articles, Trend Analysis, Educational Development, Individual Development, Change Strategies, Educational Change, Performance Factors
Teachers College, Columbia University. 525 West 120th Street, New York, NY 10027. Tel: 212-678-3774; Fax: 212-678-6619; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; Web site: http://nsse-chicago.org
Publication Type: Journal Articles; Reports - Evaluative
Education Level: Higher Education
Authoring Institution: N/A