NotesFAQContact Us
Collection
Advanced
Search Tips
Peer reviewed Peer reviewed
Direct linkDirect link
ERIC Number: EJ943190
Record Type: Journal
Publication Date: 2010-May
Pages: 12
Abstractor: As Provided
Reference Count: 43
ISBN: N/A
ISSN: ISSN-0198-7429
Special Education Teacher Preparation in Classroom Management: Implications for Students with Emotional and Behavioral Disorders
Oliver, Regina M.; Reschly, Daniel J.
Behavioral Disorders, v35 n3 p188-199 May 2010
Special education teachers' skills with classroom organization and behavior management affect the emergence and persistence of behavior problems as well as the success of inclusive practice for students with emotional and behavioral disorders (EBD). Adequate special education teacher preparation and strong classroom organization and behavior management skills are critical for teachers of students with EBD. Little research has been conducted to determine the extent to which special education teacher preparation programs provide teachers with adequate instruction on classroom organization and behavior management techniques. Course syllabi from 26 special education teacher preparation programs were reviewed. Results indicate a highly variable emphasis on classroom organization and management between programs. Programs tended to emphasize reactive procedures. Only 27% (n = 7) of the university programs had an entire course devoted to classroom management. The remaining 73% (n = 19) of university programs had content related to behavior management dispersed within various courses. Limitations and implications for special education teacher preparation and inclusive practices are discussed. (Contains 1 table and 1 figure.)
Council for Children with Behavioral Disorders. Council for Exceptional Children, 1110 North Glebe Road, Arlington, VA 22201-5704. Tel: 612-276-0140; Fax: 612-276-0142; Web site: http://www.ccbd.net/behavioraldisorders/
Publication Type: Journal Articles; Reports - Research
Education Level: Higher Education
Audience: N/A
Language: English
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: N/A