NotesFAQContact Us
Collection
Advanced
Search Tips
Peer reviewed Peer reviewed
Direct linkDirect link
ERIC Number: EJ920632
Record Type: Journal
Publication Date: 2011-May
Pages: 26
Abstractor: As Provided
Reference Count: 50
ISBN: N/A
ISSN: ISSN-0013-1245
Adding Families to the Homework Equation: A Longitudinal Study of Mathematics Achievement
Van Voorhis, Frances L.
Education and Urban Society, v43 n3 p313-338 May 2011
Families, whether guided or instructed to, often become involved in their children's homework. This study examined the effects of a weekly interactive mathematics program (Teachers Involve Parents in Schoolwork-TIPS) on family involvement, emotions and attitudes, and student achievement. Students and families (N=153) from four urban elementary schools participated in this two-year quasi-experimental study, with teachers assigned randomly to TIPS or Control conditions. Seventeen percent of students used TIPS two years, forty percent completed TIPS one year, and forty-three percent never used TIPS. The majority of the sample (57%) represented African-American students, and the remaining students (43%) were Caucasian, with almost 70% of the sample qualifying for free- or reduced-price lunch. Overall, TIPS students and families reported significantly higher levels of family involvement, more positive feelings and attitudes about math homework, and significantly higher standardized mathematics scores than Control students. This coordinated homework process may be a useful tool for educators seeking more favorable and academically productive home learning experiences for students and their families. (Contains 3 tables and 1 note.)
SAGE Publications. 2455 Teller Road, Thousand Oaks, CA 91320. Tel: 800-818-7243; Tel: 805-499-9774; Fax: 800-583-2665; e-mail: journals@sagepub.com; Web site: http://sagepub.com
Publication Type: Journal Articles; Reports - Evaluative
Education Level: Elementary Education
Audience: N/A
Language: English
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: N/A