NotesFAQContact Us
Collection
Advanced
Search Tips
Peer reviewed Peer reviewed
Direct linkDirect link
ERIC Number: EJ873055
Record Type: Journal
Publication Date: 2004
Pages: 21
Abstractor: As Provided
Reference Count: 45
ISBN: N/A
ISSN: ISSN-0194-2638
Muscle Force and Range of Motion as Predictors of Standing Balance in Children with Cerebral Palsy
Lowes, Linda Pax; Westcott, Sarah L.; Palisano, Robert J.; Effgen, Susan K.; Orlin, Margo N.
Physical & Occupational Therapy in Pediatrics, v24 n1-2 p57-77 2004
Children with cerebral palsy frequently receive therapeutic intervention to remediate standing balance deficits. Evaluation of the impairments associated with poor balance could facilitate more effective treatment programs. This study evaluated the relationship between lower extremity force production, range of motion and standing balance in thirty-five children between the ages of 6 and 14 years of age with spastic cerebral palsy. Standing balance was evaluated using the Pediatric Clinical Test of Sensory Interaction (P-CTSIB). Hand-held dynamometry was used to assess force production and goniometry was used to assess range of motion. The results indicated that force production and range of motion are highly related to standing balance. Blocked, hierarchical multiple regression analysis revealed that force production explained 41% of the variance in P-CTSIB scores in this sample, while range of motion explained an additional 13%. Therefore, the total variance explained by these variables was 54%. Results of this study suggest that impairment level testing may allow the development of more effective individualized intervention programs to remediate balance deficits. Clinical suggestions are provided. (Contains 1 figure, 5 tables, and 1 note.)
Informa Healthcare. Telephone House, 69-77 Paul Street, London, EC2A4LQ, UK. Tel: 800-354-1420; e-mail: healthcare.enquiries@informa.com; Web site: http://informahealthcare.com/action/showJournals
Publication Type: Journal Articles; Reports - Research
Education Level: N/A
Audience: N/A
Language: English
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: N/A