NotesFAQContact Us
Collection
Advanced
Search Tips
Peer reviewed Peer reviewed
Direct linkDirect link
ERIC Number: EJ861012
Record Type: Journal
Publication Date: 2008
Pages: 14
Abstractor: As Provided
Reference Count: 47
ISBN: N/A
ISSN: ISSN-0271-9517
Academic Advisors' Learning Styles: Establishing a Baseline and Examining Implications
Uhlik, Kim S.; Jones, Pamela E.
NACADA Journal, v28 n2 p44-57 Fall 2008
The influence of students' learning styles has been increasingly recognized as an integral component of effective higher education; therefore, application of learning styles to academic advising is equally relevant. As academic advisors address student learning styles in the hope of promoting greater student success, the contribution of advisors' own learning styles has received little attention. In addition to establishing a critical baseline, analyzing the learning style profiles of 30 academic advisors reveals that, although composite advisor learning style scores show substantial congruence with an a priori model, the disparity between any two individual advisor's contrasting styles was as much as 90%, leaving only a 10% learning style compatibility on which to base the advising process. (Contains 10 figures and 3 tables.)
National Academic Advising Association. NACADA Executive Office, Kansas State University, 2323 Anderson Avenue Suite 225, Manhattan, KS 66502-2912. Tel: 785-532-5717; Fax: 785-532-7732; e-mail: nacada@ksu.edu; Web site: http://www.nacada.ksu.edu
Publication Type: Journal Articles; Reports - Research
Education Level: Adult Education; Higher Education
Audience: N/A
Language: English
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: N/A