NotesFAQContact Us
Collection
Advanced
Search Tips
Peer reviewed Peer reviewed
Direct linkDirect link
ERIC Number: EJ837659
Record Type: Journal
Publication Date: 2009
Pages: 16
Abstractor: As Provided
Reference Count: 6
ISBN: N/A
ISSN: ISSN-1744-2710
Introducing a Computer Algebra System in Mathematics Education--Empirical Evidence from Germany
Schmidt, Karsten; Kohler, Anke; Moldenhauer, Wolfgang
International Journal for Technology in Mathematics Education, v16 n1 p11-26 2009
This paper reports on the effects the use of a pocket calculator-based computer algebra system (CAS) has on the performance in mathematics of grade 11 students in Germany. A project started at 8 of about one hundred upper secondary schools in the federal state of Thuringia in 1999; 3 years later the former restrictions on the use of technology in math education were lifted. In 2004, more than a quarter of all Thuringian upper secondary schools used CAS in math classes. Beginning in 2000, a test was carried out each year to compare the performance of CAS and non-CAS students (from different control schools). In 70% of the cases CAS students performed better than, and in the remaining 30% they performed as well as, non-CAS students. There is evidence that students in advanced courses benefit more from using CAS than students in basic courses. (Contains 7 tables and 7 figures.)
Research Information Ltd. Grenville Court, Britwell Road, Burnham, Buckinghamshire SL1 8DF, United Kingdom. Tel: +44-1628-600499; Fax: +44-1628-600488; e-mail: info@researchinformation.co.uk; Web site: http://www.researchinformation.co.uk/time.php
Publication Type: Journal Articles; Numerical/Quantitative Data; Reports - Evaluative
Education Level: Grade 11; Secondary Education
Audience: N/A
Language: English
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: N/A
Identifiers - Location: Germany