ERIC Number: EJ814348
Record Type: Journal
Publication Date: 2008
Reference Count: N/A
Reviewing Post-Tenure Review
Neal, Anne D.
Academe, v94 n5 p27-30 Sep-Oct 2008
Ever since the American Association of University Professors (AAUP) and the Association of American Colleges issued the joint 1940 Statement of Principles on Academic Freedom and Tenure, two truths have been deemed self-evident: that academic freedom is vital to meaningful teaching and intellectual work, and that tenure is necessary to ensure academic freedom. The public however is not so sure. A 2006 poll commissioned by the AAUP found that 68.7 percent of the public thinks tenure should be modified, while 13.3 percent thinks it should be eliminated altogether. In other words, 82 percent of the public thinks change is in order. In a 2007 Zogby poll, 65.3 percent of respondents agreed that "a professor who does not have tenure is more motivated to do a good job than one who does have tenure." Those results speak to long-standing and widespread public concern that tenure protects and rewards professors who are neither effective teachers nor productive scholars. It is perhaps not surprising that the General Assembly of Virginia responded to those concerns by enacting a law requiring post-tenure review at each of the state's sixteen public campuses. In this article, the head of the American Council of Trustees and Alumni argues that trustees should use "carrots" and "sticks" with tenured faculty.
Descriptors: Teacher Effectiveness, Tenure, Academic Freedom, Rewards, Trustees, College Faculty, Incentives, Personnel Policy, Policy Analysis, Policy Formation, Public Opinion, Standard Setting
American Association of University Professors. 1012 Fourteenth Street NW Suite 500, Washington, DC 20005. Tel: 800-424-2973; Tel: 202-737-5900; Fax: 202-737-5526; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; Web site: http://www.aaup.org
Publication Type: Journal Articles; Reports - Descriptive
Education Level: Higher Education
Authoring Institution: N/A
Identifiers - Location: Virginia