NotesFAQContact Us
Collection
Advanced
Search Tips
Peer reviewed Peer reviewed
Direct linkDirect link
ERIC Number: EJ789271
Record Type: Journal
Publication Date: 2007
Pages: 17
Abstractor: Author
Reference Count: 0
ISBN: N/A
ISSN: ISSN-0790-8318
Language Policy in a Korean-English Two-Way Immersion Setting
Lee, Soyoung
Language, Culture and Curriculum, v20 n2 p109-125 2007
The purpose of this paper is to examine a language policy in a two-way immersion programme and to explicate the dimensions as well as dynamics involved in the teacher's interpretation and implementation of the policy. The Korean-English two-way immersion kindergarten classroom where this research was conducted, adopted a 70: 30 language distribution policy: Korean was used as the language of instruction during 70% of class time and English was employed as the language of instruction during the remaining 30% of time. However, despite the teacher's strict implementation of the policy, both the ethnically Korean children and ethnically non-Korean children chose to maintain most of their communication in English, reluctant to use Korean in both official and unofficial school settings. Within this setting, I ask questions related to the principles that affected the implementation of the policy by the teacher, specifically, the process by which certain interests became prioritised and the other became marginalised. I provide description of the teacher's value systems and experiences that affected this process.
Multilingual Matters. Frankfurt Lodge, Clevedon Hall, Victoria Road, Clevedon, BS21 7HH, UK. Tel: +44-1275-876519; Fax: +44-1275-871673; e-mail: info@multilingual-matters.com; Web site: http://www.multilingual-matters.com/multi/journals.asp
Publication Type: Journal Articles; Reports - Evaluative
Education Level: Kindergarten
Audience: N/A
Language: English
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: N/A