NotesFAQContact Us
Search Tips
Peer reviewed Peer reviewed
Direct linkDirect link
ERIC Number: EJ1179171
Record Type: Journal
Publication Date: 2018-Jun
Pages: 13
Abstractor: As Provided
ISSN: ISSN-2154-1647
DSM-5 Autism Spectrum Disorder Symptomology in Award-Winning Narrative Fiction
Kelley, Jane E.; Barrio, Brenda L.; Cardon, Teresa A.; Brando-Subis, Christina; Lee, Saeun; Smith, Katharine
Education and Training in Autism and Developmental Disabilities, v53 n2 p115-127 Jun 2018
Educators have used narrative fiction to expand knowledge and facilitate awareness about underrepresented populations, including those with disabilities. This study is a content analysis of nine award-winning young-adult narrative fiction books with characters depicting individuals with ASD. The analysis yielded a total of 285 symptoms that were coded based on the American Psychiatric Association's definition of ASD symptoms. Analysis revealed that 72% of the total symptoms depicted repetitive or restrictive behaviors, and the remaining 28% represented social communication difficulties or deficits as described by the DSM-5. The results of this study show that few fictional stories depict the difficulties of social communication as it is often observed in high-functioning individuals with ASD. Therefore, narrative fiction that overplays the restrictive, repetitive behaviors and underplays the social communication deficits perpetuates misconceptions about ASD. Narrative fiction with main characters clearly shows ASD symptoms have large implications for stakeholders working with students with ASD.
Division on Autism and Developmental Disabilities, Council for Exceptional Children. DDD, P.O. Box 3512, Fayetteville, AR 72702. Tel: 479-575-3326; Fax: 479-575-6676; Web site:
Publication Type: Journal Articles; Reports - Research
Education Level: N/A
Audience: N/A
Language: English
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: N/A
Grant or Contract Numbers: N/A