NotesFAQContact Us
Collection
Advanced
Search Tips
ERIC Number: EJ1115137
Record Type: Journal
Publication Date: 2016-Oct
Pages: 8
Abstractor: As Provided
ISBN: N/A
ISSN: ISSN-0031-7217
EISSN: N/A
Students Improve Even amid Evaluation Controversy
Cronin, John; Jensen, Nate; Wise, Steve
Phi Delta Kappan, v98 n2 p58-65 Oct 2016
In 2012, New York education officials and the state's teachers union announced one of the nation's most aggressive programs for teacher and principal evaluation--the Annual Professional Performance Review system (APPR)--which required that 40% of an educator's evaluation be based on student growth, using a combination of the state assessment and locally selected assessments; the other 60% to be based primarily on classroom observations. Positive student achievement and growth results for students in New York suggest that improvements to the teacher evaluation process that emphasize the importance of strong evaluation procedures, the systematic collection of evidence of teacher performance, and the use of data to inform the process, have promise for improving educator effectiveness far more than a narrower punitive approach. Such an approach is most likely to get the support of administrators and teachers and may also be the approach that will have the most positive effect on student achievement over time.
SAGE Publications. 2455 Teller Road, Thousand Oaks, CA 91320. Tel: 800-818-7243; Tel: 805-499-9774; Fax: 800-583-2665; e-mail: journals@sagepub.com; Web site: http://sagepub.com
Publication Type: Journal Articles; Reports - Evaluative
Education Level: Grade 4; Intermediate Grades; Elementary Education; Grade 5; Middle Schools; Grade 6; Grade 7; Junior High Schools; Secondary Education; Grade 8
Audience: N/A
Language: English
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: N/A
Identifiers - Location: New York
Grant or Contract Numbers: N/A