NotesFAQContact Us
Collection
Advanced
Search Tips
Peer reviewed Peer reviewed
Direct linkDirect link
ERIC Number: EJ1094539
Record Type: Journal
Publication Date: 2016
Pages: 11
Abstractor: As Provided
Reference Count: N/A
ISBN: N/A
ISSN: ISSN-0896-3746
Developmental Surveillance and Screening Practices by Pediatric Primary Care Providers: Implications for Early Intervention Professionals
Porter, Sallie; Qureshi, Rubab; Caldwell, Barbara Ann; Echevarria, Mercedes; Dubbs, William B.; Sullivan, Margaret W.
Infants and Young Children, v29 n2 p91-101 Apr-Jun 2016
This study used a survey approach to investigate current developmental surveillance and developmental screening practices by pediatric primary care providers in a diverse New Jersey county. A total of 217 providers were contacted with a final sample size of 57 pediatric primary care respondents from 13 different municipalities. Most providers (73.7%) began developmental surveillance at the first nonhospital health supervision visit, usually at 3-5 days of life. About half of responding providers (51.8%) did surveillance and/or screening at all health encounters, whereas the remaining providers (48.2%) did surveillance and/or screening at only well child visits. The majority of providers (63.6%) report using a formal tool for developmental screening. There was variation in the particular developmental tool used for screening that included the use of both standardized formal and nonstandardized informal tools. Disparities in practice were associated with the patient's type of insurance, age at surveillance and/or screening initiation, and the time frame of surveillance and screening. Implications for early intervention practice are discussed.
Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. Available from: Wolters Kluwer. 351 West Camden Street, Baltimore, MD 21201. Tel: 800-638-3030; e-mail: MR-WKCustomerSupport@wolterskluwer.com; Web site: http://www.lww.com
Publication Type: Journal Articles; Reports - Research
Education Level: N/A
Audience: N/A
Language: English
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: N/A
Identifiers - Location: New Jersey