NotesFAQContact Us
Collection
Advanced
Search Tips
Peer reviewed Peer reviewed
PDF on ERIC Download full text
ERIC Number: EJ1066405
Record Type: Journal
Publication Date: 2011-Feb
Pages: 7
Abstractor: As Provided
ISBN: N/A
ISSN: ISSN-1913-9020
EISSN: N/A
The Emerging Roles of Coaches in the Malaysian Dual Training System
Othman, Ahmad; Abdullah, Nor Hazana; Sulaiman, Mohamad; Shamsuddin, Alina
International Education Studies, v4 n1 p154-160 Feb 2011
This paper discusses the new task of industry personnel as coaches in the National Dual Training System (NDTS), a newly introduced training initiative for producing k-workers in Malaysia. The decision to introduce this initiative was made by the Malaysian Cabinet on the 19th May 2004 with the hope that it will resolve the issue of skilled workers being produced, but not meeting the needs of the industry. The initiative began in 2005 for four skill sets, i.e., manufacturing tools (tool and dies), automatic control process, automotive mechanics and plant operations. In this new system, the industry plays an important role to ensure 70 percent of the training is carried out at the workplace and the rest 30 percent of the training will be carried out at the training institution premises. After completion of the four semester program, apprentices are awarded the NDTS k-Worker Certificate. Since the industry personnel plays a greater role than before through the newly introduced system, the understanding of new tasks of industry personnel as coaches to the apprentices is explored. The analysis of literature shows that different levels of personnel, i.e., executive, supervisory and senior technician require different skill sets in carrying out the coaching tasks. Based on this requirement, therefore, the potential enhancement programs required to equip these personnel with necessary skills can be developed.
Canadian Center of Science and Education. 1120 Finch Avenue West Suite 701-309, Toronto, ON M3J 3H7, Canada. Tel: 416-642-2606 Ext 206; Fax: 416-642-2608; e-mail: ies@ccsenet.org; Web site: http://www.ccsenet.org/journal/index.php/es
Publication Type: Journal Articles; Reports - Research
Education Level: N/A
Audience: N/A
Language: English
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: N/A
Identifiers - Location: Malaysia
Grant or Contract Numbers: N/A