ERIC Number: EJ1020271
Record Type: Journal
Publication Date: 2014-Feb
Abstractor: As Provided
Reference Count: 15
Decreasing Uncorrected Refractive Error in the Classroom through a Multifactorial Pilot Intervention
Kodjebacheva, Gergana; Maliski, Sally; Yu, Fei; Oelrich, Faye; Coleman, Anne L.
Journal of School Nursing, v30 n1 p24-30 Feb 2014
The study assessed the effectiveness of a pilot intervention to promote the use of eyeglasses in one school in California. The intervention used a one-group pretest, posttest design. Between January and June 2011, during the intervention, all first- and second-grade children received eye evaluations and the children with refractive error received two pairs of attractive eyeglasses. Parents received eye care education. Teachers monitored the use of eyeglasses in the classroom. Prior to the intervention in January 2011, 1 of the 15 children with refractive error (6.7%) wore eyeglasses in the classroom and the remaining 14 (93.3%) lacked eyeglasses altogether; 6 months following the end of the intervention in December 2011, 11 of the 15 children (73.3%) wore eyeglasses in the classroom and the remaining 4 (26.7%) did not ("p" = 0.002). The multifactorial intervention increased the use of eyeglasses in the classroom even months after the end of the summer vacation.
Descriptors: Vision, Intervention, Pretests Posttests, Elementary School Students, Use Studies, Vision Tests, At Risk Students, Focus Groups, Racial Differences, Minority Groups, School Nurses, Screening Tests, Ophthalmology, Optometry, Student Behavior, Disadvantaged Youth, Parent Education
SAGE Publications. 2455 Teller Road, Thousand Oaks, CA 91320. Tel: 800-818-7243; Tel: 805-499-9774; Fax: 800-583-2665; e-mail: email@example.com; Web site: http://sagepub.com
Publication Type: Journal Articles; Reports - Research
Education Level: Elementary Education; Grade 1; Grade 2
Authoring Institution: N/A
Identifiers - Location: California