NotesFAQContact Us
Search Tips
ERIC Number: ED538475
Record Type: Non-Journal
Publication Date: 2007-Mar
Pages: 2
Abstractor: ERIC
Reference Count: N/A
Resident Graduate Charges at California's Public Universities. Factsheet 07-02
California Postsecondary Education Commission
California charges students enrolled in academic graduate degree programs more to attend the State's public universities than it charges undergraduate students. The rationale for this differential stems from two principle factors. First, providing graduate courses is generally more expensive than the cost of providing undergraduate courses. Second, while advanced education and training provide substantial societal benefits, students completing academic graduate degrees generally earn higher salaries upon completion of their graduate studies, resulting in more personal financial gain from this level of education. Both of California's public university systems charge resident graduate students a systemwide enrollment fee, as well as mandatory, campus-based fees. The mandatory campus-based fees vary from campus to campus and help support student services such as counseling, student union activities, student government, and recreational facilities. Through budget actions over the past several years, California has required resident students to pay an increasing proportion of the cost of their education, while nonresident students have been assessed increased "tuition" levels to cover their educational costs. Under California's Master Plan for Higher Education, both the California State University (CSU) and the University of California (UC) are authorized to offer graduate degree programs. The California State University has been precluded from offering most doctoral degrees independently, with the exception being doctoral-level degrees in Education administration. The CSU is also authorized to offer doctoral degrees jointly in partnership with a University of California campus or with one of the State's independent colleges and universities. This papers answers the following questions: (1) What does the California State University charge graduate students?; (2) What does the University of California charge graduate students?; (3) What has the Governor proposed in terms of changes to resident graduate student fees for the 2007-08 fiscal year?; and (4) Who are graduate resident students?
California Postsecondary Education Commission. 770 L Street Suite 1160, Sacramento, CA 95814. Tel: 916-322-9268; Fax: 916-327-4417; e-mail:; Web site:
Publication Type: Reports - Descriptive
Education Level: Higher Education; Postsecondary Education
Audience: N/A
Language: English
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: California Postsecondary Education Commission
Identifiers - Location: California