NotesFAQContact Us
Search Tips
ERIC Number: ED537399
Record Type: Non-Journal
Publication Date: 2006-Apr
Pages: 11
Abstractor: ERIC
Reference Count: N/A
How to Acquire Surplus Federal Real Property for Educational Purposes
US Department of Education
Agencies and departments of the federal government may find that they own property that they no longer require. This may occur because of a change in their program requirements, a reduction in their operations or the relocation of programs to other sites. These properties are reported to the General Services Administration as excess. Military installations may also be determined excess but are disposed of under the "Base Realignment and Closure" acts (BRAC). The "Federal Property and Administrative Services Act" of 1949 (P.L. 81-152), as amended, provides statutory authority for the disposal of excess real property to another executive agency having a need for the property, or, if there is no such need, for its disposal as surplus property in accordance with federal laws and regulations. This act gives to the secretary of education the authority to sell surplus federal real property to eligible applicants who have demonstrated a need for the property at a Public Benefit Allowance discount, which takes into consideration benefits that may accrue to the United States as a result of its use for educational purposes. This paper provides ideas on how to acquire surplus federal real property for educational purposes.
US Department of Education. Available from: ED Pubs. P.O. Box 1398, Jessup, MD 20794-1398. Tel: 877-433-7827; Fax: 301-470-1244; Web site:
Publication Type: Reports - Descriptive
Education Level: Adult Basic Education; Adult Education; Elementary Secondary Education; Postsecondary Education
Audience: N/A
Language: English
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: Department of Education (ED), Office of Management
Identifiers - Location: United States