NotesFAQContact Us
Collection
Advanced
Search Tips
ERIC Number: ED535120
Record Type: Non-Journal
Publication Date: 2012-Sep
Pages: 13
Abstractor: ERIC
Reference Count: 0
ISBN: N/A
ISSN: N/A
Physics Bachelor's Initial Employment: Data from the Degree Recipient Follow-Up Survey for the Classes of 2009 and 2010. Focus On
Tesfaye, Casey Langer; Mulvey, Patrick
Statistical Research Center of the American Institute of Physics
Each fall the Statistical Research Center conducts its Survey of Enrollments and Degrees, which asks all degree-granting physics and astronomy departments in the U.S. to provide information concerning the numbers of students they have enrolled and counts of recent degree recipients. In connection with this survey, the authors ask for the names and contact information for their recent degree recipients. This degree recipient information is used to conduct their follow-up survey in the winter following the academic year in which they received their degrees. The data in this "focus on" comes from that survey. Findings revealed that after they graduate, physics bachelor's degree recipients choose whether to continue directly to graduate school or enter the workforce. Of the combined 2009 and 2010 classes of new physics' bachelor's, 60% were enrolled in graduate programs by the winter following their degrees, and the remaining 40% entered the workforce. The majority of the employed physics bachelor's degree recipients from the combined classes of 2009 and 2010 worked in the private sector. Overall, about three-quarters of employed physics bachelor's are working in STEM fields. The majority of non-STEM jobs are in the private sector. The majority of physics bachelor's from the combined classes of 2009 and 2010 found jobs in all areas of the economy that were well-paying, intellectually rewarding and satisfying. However, it is important to note that students from these classes graduated at a time when a recession had just ended and a slow recovery was beginning. Thus, some struggled to find appropriate employment. (Contains 9 figures and 1 table.)
Statistical Research Center of the American Institute of Physics. One Physics Ellipse, College Park, MD 20740. Tel: 301-209-3067; Fax: 301-209-0843; e-mail: stats@aip.org; Web site: http://www.aip.org/statistics
Publication Type: Numerical/Quantitative Data; Reports - Research
Education Level: Higher Education; Postsecondary Education
Audience: N/A
Language: English
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: American Institute of Physics, Statistical Research Center