NotesFAQContact Us
Collection
Advanced
Search Tips
ERIC Number: ED532070
Record Type: Non-Journal
Publication Date: 2010
Pages: 4
Abstractor: ERIC
Reference Count: 0
ISBN: N/A
ISSN: N/A
Evaluating Principals: Balancing Accountability with Professional Growth. Executive Summary
New Leaders for New Schools (NJ1)
Effective principals are those who boost academic achievement for all students, increase the effectiveness of their teaching staffs, and consistently take leadership actions shown to improve outcomes for students. Therefore principal evaluation systems should place 70% of their weight on the ability of principals to increase student achievement and teacher effectiveness outcomes, with the remaining 30% focused on their demonstration of effective practices and leadership actions. Local school systems should then use these assessments to drive not only key accountability decisions, but also to support professional learning and growth. Bringing significant improvements in student achievement and teacher effectiveness to scale will require substantial improvements in the policies and practices that contribute to the effectiveness of principals. This is a large agenda for change and it can only succeed if individuals accurately and comprehensively measure the effectiveness of principal corps. The goal of this paper is to provide policymakers with recommendations for the design and implementation of strong principal development and evaluation systems. States and local school systems that pursue these ideas can use principal evaluation to drive a powerful vision of principal effectiveness and, by consequence, improve outcomes for all students. A bibliography is included. (Contains 3 footnotes.) [For the full report, "Evaluating Principals: Balancing Accountability with Professional Growth," see ED532073.]
New Leaders for New Schools. Available from: New Leaders. 30 West 26th Street Second Floor, New York, NY 10010. Tel: 646-792-1070; e-mail: info@newleaders.org; Web site: http://www.newleaders.org
Publication Type: Reports - Descriptive
Education Level: Elementary Secondary Education
Audience: N/A
Language: English
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: New Leaders for New Schools