NotesFAQContact Us
Collection
Advanced
Search Tips
ERIC Number: ED517005
Record Type: Non-Journal
Publication Date: 2010
Pages: 177
Abstractor: As Provided
Reference Count: 0
ISBN: ISBN-978-1-1240-0633-8
ISSN: N/A
Promoting Motivation through Mode of Instruction: The Relationship between Use of Affective Teaching Techniques and Motivation to Learn Science
Sanchez Rivera, Yamil
ProQuest LLC, Ed.D. Dissertation, Lehigh University
The purpose of this study is to add to what we know about the affective domain and to create a valid instrument for future studies. The Motivation to Learn Science (MLS) Inventory is based on Krathwohl's Taxonomy of Affective Behaviors (Krathwohl et. al., 1964). The results of the Exploratory Factor Analysis (EFA) and Confirmatory Factor Analysis (CFA) demonstrated that the MLS Inventory is a valid and reliable instrument. Therefore, the MLS Inventory is a uni-dimensional instrument composed of 9 items with convergent validity (no divergence). The instrument had a high Chronbach Alpha value of .898 during the EFA analysis and .919 with the CFA analysis. Factor loadings on the 9 items ranged from 0.617 to 0.800. Standardized regression weights ranged from .639 to 0.835 in the CFA analysis. Various indices (RMSEA = 0.033; NFI = 0.987; GFI = 0.985; CFI = 1.000) demonstrated a good fitness of the proposed model. Hierarchical linear modeling was used to statistical analyze data where students' motivation to learn science scores (level-1) were nested within teachers (level-2). The analysis was geared toward identifying if teachers' use of affective behavior (a level-2 classroom variable) was significantly related with students' MLS scores (level-1 criterion variable). Model testing proceeded in three phases: intercept-only model, means-as-outcome model, and a random-regression coefficient model. The intercept-only model revealed an intra-class correlation coefficient of 0.224 with an estimated reliability of 0.726. Therefore, data suggested that only 22.4% of the variance in MLS scores is between-classes and the remaining 77.6% is at the student-level. Due to the significant variance in MLS scores, "X2" (62.756, p less than 0.0001), teachers' TAB scores were added as a level-2 predictor. The regression coefficient was non-significant ( p greater than 0.05). Therefore, the teachers' self-reported use of affective behaviors was not a significant predictor of students' motivation to learn science. [The dissertation citations contained here are published with the permission of ProQuest LLC. Further reproduction is prohibited without permission. Copies of dissertations may be obtained by Telephone (800) 1-800-521-0600. Web page: http://www.proquest.com/en-US/products/dissertations/individuals.shtml.]
ProQuest LLC. 789 East Eisenhower Parkway, P.O. Box 1346, Ann Arbor, MI 48106. Tel: 800-521-0600; Web site: http://www.proquest.com/en-US/products/dissertations/individuals.shtml
Publication Type: Dissertations/Theses - Doctoral Dissertations
Education Level: N/A
Audience: N/A
Language: English
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: N/A