NotesFAQContact Us
Search Tips
ERIC Number: ED505060
Record Type: Non-Journal
Publication Date: 2008-Jul
Pages: 4
Abstractor: ERIC
Considering a Private Residential Treatment Program for a Troubled Teen? Questions for Parents and Guardians to Ask
Federal Trade Commission
Private residential treatment programs for young people offer a range of services, including drug and alcohol treatment, confidence building, military-style discipline, and psychological counseling for a variety of addiction, behavioral, and emotional problems. Many of these programs are intended to provide a less-restrictive alternative to incarceration or hospitalization, or an intervention for a troubled young person. No standard definitions exist for specific types of programs. The programs are not regulated by the federal government, and many are not subject to state licensing or monitoring as mental health or educational facilities, either. A 2007 Report to Congress by the Government Accountability Office (GAO) found cases involving serious abuse and neglect at some of these programs. Many programs advertise on the Internet and through other media, making claims about staff credentials. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) cautions parents to check out a private residential treatment program by asking questions, asking for proof or support for claims about staff credentials, program accreditation, and endorsements; visiting the site, and getting all policies and promises in writing. This publication contains 15 questions that parents and guardians can use to ask representatives of residential treatment programs in determining if a program is appropriate for their child.
Federal Trade Commission. Consumer Response Center, 600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20580. Tel: 877-382-4357; Tel: 202-326-2222; Web site:
Publication Type: Guides - Non-Classroom
Education Level: Secondary Education
Audience: Parents
Language: English
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: Federal Trade Commission, Washington, DC.
Grant or Contract Numbers: N/A