ERIC Number: ED468847
Record Type: Non-Journal
Publication Date: 2002
Reference Count: N/A
State of the States 2002: GLSEN's Policy Analysis of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Safer Schools Issues.
Bauer, Allison F.
This report presents current information available on each state and the District of Columbia related to education issues that affect lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) youth. It summarizes the laws affecting students, LGBT students. Results from the 2001 National School Climate Survey of the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network indicate that more than 82 percent of LGBT students report verbal, sexual, or physical harassment. More than 90 percent of LGBT students regularly hear anti-LGBT comments at school, and almost one in four hear these comments from school staff. Transgender youth are disproportionately likely to face harassment. With laws in place in eight states and the District of Columbia, only 25 percent of students have statewide legal protections, leaving 75 percent of students in states with no state laws to protect them from harassment and discrimination. At least seven states have prohibitions on the positive depiction of homosexuality, and eight states require the promotion of monogamous heterosexual marriage. Data are provided on state public school characteristics, safe school laws, and other relevant state laws (including laws related to hate crimes, non-discrimination, and HIV and sexually transmitted disease education). (SM)
Descriptors: Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome, Bisexuality, Comprehensive School Health Education, Gender Issues, Homophobia, Homosexuality, Public Schools, School Safety, Secondary Education, Social Discrimination, State Legislation, Student Rights
For full text: http://www.glsen.org/templates/resources/index.html.
Publication Type: Reports - Research
Education Level: N/A
Authoring Institution: Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network, New York, NY.