NotesFAQContact Us
Collection
Advanced
Search Tips
ERIC Number: ED467595
Record Type: Non-Journal
Publication Date: 2002-Jul-13
Pages: 11
Abstractor: N/A
Reference Count: N/A
ISBN: N/A
ISSN: N/A
Current Status and Future Prospects of Upper-Secondary Vocational Education in Taiwan.
Lee, Lung-Sheng Steven
The current status and prospects of upper secondary vocational education (USVE) in Taiwan were reviewed. The following were among the key findings: (1) in Taiwan, USVE is offered in all vocational high schools (VHS), the occupational programs in all comprehensive high schools (CHS), and some senior high schools (SHS); (2) students in VHS constitute 55% of all students in USVE, with the remaining 45% enrolled in either SHS or CHS; (3) as of 2000-2001, there were 188 VHS, including 93 private VHS; (4) USVE in Taiwan is no longer terminal education inasmuch as most students enrolled in USVE want to pursue further study and 38% of VHS graduates in 2000-2001 were admitted to postsecondary education; (5) VHS are increasingly being transformed into CHS; (6) USVE programs and curricula are undergoing a process of reform that involves grouping all programs in Taiwan's technological and vocational education system into 17 clusters and introducing the concept of competency-based education to foster a more demand-oriented and learner-centered curriculum; (7) VHS will likely continue to downsize and pursue quality; (8) USVE programs will align to occupational families; (9) USVE will expand its audience to include a greater variety of students; and (10) VHS and CHS will strengthen their partnerships. (MN)
Publication Type: Opinion Papers; Speeches/Meeting Papers
Education Level: N/A
Audience: N/A
Language: English
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: N/A
Identifiers - Location: Taiwan