ERIC Number: ED456863
Record Type: Non-Journal
Publication Date: 2001-Oct
Reference Count: N/A
Uncovering the Hidden Web, Part I: Finding What the Search Engines Don't. ERIC Digest.
Currently, the World Wide Web contains an estimated 7.4 million sites (OCLC, 2001). Yet even the most experienced searcher, using the most robust search engines, can access only about 16% of these pages (Dahn, 2001). The other 84% of the publicly available information on the Web is referred to as the "hidden,""invisible," or "deep" Web. This digest provides tips on augmenting traditional search techniques with knowledge of the hidden Web, helping readers to access some of the Web's most valuable content. The hidden Web contains current news articles, image collections from museums, and specialized databases full of discipline specific research and reports, U.S. Census information, and so on. Tools to access more of the Web are nascent, but they are growing. The first step to accessing the hidden Web is much like that of other search processes: use familiar and reliable resources. Although directories offer limitations as primary search tools, directory categories often contain hidden Web databases. Also, professional journals and magazines provide a wealth of current knowledge. In addition, Web-based and desktop solutions are available to access the hidden Web. Web-based gateways, collections, and desktop tools point to specialized databases. These tools are most effective when a few of them are used regularly and integrated into an overall search strategy. Six helpful sites are described as possible solutions. (Contains 11 references.) (AEF)
Descriptors: Access to Information, Databases, Information Retrieval, Information Sources, Online Searching, Search Strategies, World Wide Web
ERIC Clearinghouse on Information & Technology, Syracuse University, 621 Skytop Rd., Suite 160, Syracuse, NY 13244-5290. Tel: 315-443-3640; Tel: 800-464-9107 (Toll Free); Fax: 315-443-5448; e-mail: email@example.com; Web site: http://ericit.org/ithome.
Publication Type: ERIC Publications; ERIC Digests in Full Text
Education Level: N/A
Sponsor: Office of Educational Research and Improvement (ED), Washington, DC.
Authoring Institution: ERIC Clearinghouse on Information and Technology, Syracuse, NY.