ERIC Number: ED453907
Record Type: RIE
Publication Date: 2001-Feb
Reference Count: N/A
What's behind the Good News: The Decline in Teen Pregnancy Rates during the 1990s.
Noting that rates of teen pregnancies and births have declined over the past decade, this analysis examined how much of the progress is due to fewer teens having sex and how much to lower rates of pregnancy among sexually active teens. The analysis drew on data from the federal government's National Survey of Family Growth (NSFG), a large, periodic survey of women ages 15-44 on issues related to childbearing. With regard to the decline in teen pregnancy rates between 1990 and 1995, the analysis found that the proportion attributable to less sexual experience among teens ranges from approximately 40 to 60 percent, with the remaining 60 or 40 percent attributable to decreased pregnancy rates for sexually experienced teens. However, it was noted that limitations of the data make the exact contribution of each factor very difficult to determine. (Appendices present analyses using alternate pregnancy rates and an explanation of how analyses are affected by sampling error.) (EV)
Descriptors: Adolescents, Birth Rate, Births to Single Women, Contraception, Early Parenthood, Influences, Pregnancy, Pregnant Students, Sexuality, Trend Analysis, Youth Problems
National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy, 1776 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Suite 200, Washington, DC 20036; Tel: 202-478-8500; Fax: 202-478-8588; Web site: http://www.teenpregnancy.org.
Publication Type: Numerical/Quantitative Data; Reports - Research
Education Level: N/A
Sponsor: Mott (C.S.) Foundation, Flint, MI.; David and Lucile Packard Foundation, Los Altos, CA.; Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, Princeton, NJ.; William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, Palo Alto, CA.
Authoring Institution: National Campaign To Prevent Teen Pregnancy, Washington, DC.
Note: Also funded by the Summit and Turner Foundations.