NotesFAQContact Us
Collection
Advanced
Search Tips
ERIC Number: ED450802
Record Type: RIE
Publication Date: 2000
Pages: 59
Abstractor: N/A
Reference Count: N/A
ISBN: N/A
ISSN: N/A
Distance Education in Library and Information Science Education: Trends and Issues.
Zepp, Diana
This study measured current trends in distance education in the United States within Library and Information Science programs. The study was conducted, for the period 1989 to 1998, through a content analysis of journal articles from the "Library Literature" database, and through a content analysis of graduate catalogs from American Library Association (ALA) accredited library schools. Of 128 journal articles analyzed, 86% were non-research articles, with the main topic of discussion being distance education at a specific library program. The remaining 14% of the articles were dedicated to research, with 44% of that research pertaining to the study of distance education students. A significant finding was that slightly more than half (56%) of the 128 articles were published in the three-year period 1996 through 1998, with the Internet being the technology category most cited. The analysis of graduate catalogs found a definite increase in the use of distance education. In 1989, 16.67% of accredited library programs used distance education. By 1998, the number of accredited programs using distance education had increased to 75%. In 1989, no school offered the entire Master of Library Science through distance education. By 1998, 18.75% of schools offered the degree in that manner. In 1989, the dominant delivery system for distance education was an audio/video-based technology, with no use of the Internet. By 1998, 22.22% of the 36 accredited library programs offering distance education were using only an Internet-based technology to delivery classes, and 50% of those 36 programs were using both the Internet and audio/video technologies in combination. Appendixes include a list of ALA accredited library programs and coding sheets. (Contains 28 references.) (AEF)
Publication Type: Dissertations/Theses
Education Level: N/A
Audience: N/A
Language: English
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: N/A
Note: Master of Library and Information Science, Research Paper, Kent State University.