ERIC Number: ED438922
Record Type: Non-Journal
Publication Date: 2000-Jan
Reference Count: N/A
Licensed Child Care in Washington State: 1998.
Miller, Marna Geyer; Schrager, Laura
This study is one of an ongoing series of biennial surveys of all child care centers and some licensed family home providers by Washington State's Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS). A total of 1,137 child care centers and 1,527 family home providers were interviewed in spring 1998. Major findings include: (1) Over the period 1990 to 1998, the inflation-adjusted cost of care increased 22 percent in centers and 20.5 percent in homes--in the last 2 years of that period (1996 to 1998), the price of full-time family home care after adjusting for inflation climbed by 3 percent (from $396 to $406), and that of centers went up 4 percent (from $433 to $453); (2) An estimated 170,200 children in Washington State were in licensed care in spring 1998--almost 70 percent were in child care centers, and the remaining 30 percent were in licensed family homes; (3) The number of licensed family homes decreased, while the number of centers increased; (4) The number of children in licensed care increased 4 percent per year from 1996 to 1998, with preschool-age children much more likely to be in care; (5) About one-third of centers provided full-time care for infants, whereas only about a quarter of family homes did; (6) The vacancy rate in centers declined, while the rate in homes remained the same; (7) Pay for teachers averaged $7.73 per hour, and aides averaged $6.34 per hour (after adjusting for inflation, there has been no increase in average wages since 1992); (8) Since 1992, the share of family home providers with formal training in early childhood education or child development has increased from 56 percent in 1994 to 74 percent in 1998; (9) Assistants in family homes earned $6.43 per hour on average; (10) 69 percent of family homes had liability insurance in 1998, compared to 58 percent in 1996; (11) over three-quarters of licensed family homes participated in the USDA food program in 1998; (12) 18 percent of children in centers and 20 percent of children in family homes received care subsidized by DSHS in spring 1998; (13) licensed family home providers tend to serve children who share their ethnicity; and (14) child care centers with a high proportion of children subsidized by DSHS are more ethnically heterogeneous than the state as a whole. (Appendices provide statistics by county. Includes numerous tables and figures.) (EV)
Descriptors: Child Caregivers, Compensation (Remuneration), Counties, Day Care, Day Care Centers, Demography, Early Childhood Education, Ethnicity, Family Day Care, Financial Support, State Surveys, Statistical Surveys
Washington State Department of Social and Health Services, Research and Data Analysis, Olympia, WA 98504-5204 (Report No. 7.100).
Publication Type: Numerical/Quantitative Data; Reports - Research
Education Level: N/A
Authoring Institution: Washington State Dept. of Social and Health Services, Olympia. Office of Research and Data Analysis.; Washington State Univ., Pullman. Social and Economic Sciences Research Center.
Identifiers - Location: Washington