NotesFAQContact Us
Collection
Advanced
Search Tips
ERIC Number: ED427804
Record Type: Non-Journal
Publication Date: 1998-Dec
Pages: 11
Abstractor: N/A
Reference Count: N/A
ISBN: N/A
ISSN: N/A
Influence of Study Group Attendance and Students' Perceived Helpfulness on Expected Grade.
Plecha, Michelle
This study examines the association between the number of study group sessions a student attends, the student's attitude toward these sessions, and expected grade for the class. Seven hundred and two students participated in the study, 30% of whom never attended a study group session. Of the remaining 70% who did participate, 24% attended five or more sessions, 27% attended three to four sessions, and 17% attended one to two sessions. Out of the twenty-eight classes that were surveyed at Oakland Community College (Michigan) over a 2-year period, Introduction to Psychology had the highest participation rate in the study group (18%). At the end of each semester, students were asked to fill out a questionnaire regarding the study group sessions. Fifty percent of the students who attended the sessions said that they were "extremely helpful," and 33% responded "very helpful.""Somewhat helpful" and "not helpful at all" accounted for 3% combined. Data from the attendees and non-attendees were compared, and overall, students who attended the study groups and perceived their group leader as effective expected higher grades. Tables 1 and 2 indicate the frequency of attendees by course, and the correlation between the number of sessions attended and the perception of helpfulness and expected grade. (AS)
Publication Type: Reports - Research
Education Level: N/A
Audience: N/A
Language: English
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: N/A