NotesFAQContact Us
Collection
Advanced
Search Tips
ERIC Number: ED412036
Record Type: Non-Journal
Publication Date: 1997-Apr-10
Pages: 24
Abstractor: N/A
Reference Count: N/A
ISBN: N/A
ISSN: N/A
Indian Education from the Tribal Perspective: A Follow-up Survey of American Indian Tribal Leaders.
Wells, Robert N., Jr.
Survey responses concerning the status of American Indian education were received from 142 Native American tribal leaders (out of 511 surveyed) and compared to responses from a similar 1990 survey. A major finding of the study is that, as in 1990, approximately 90 percent of all American Indian children attend state public schools. The remaining 10 percent attend Bureau of Indian Affairs schools or tribally run or contracted schools. As in 1990, an unacceptable number of tribally-affiliated Indian students (more than half) do not graduate from high school, and an even larger percentage do not attend or complete postsecondary education. In most instances, Indian children attend public schools that are underfunded, controlled by non-Indians, and staffed predominately by Anglo teachers. These schools include little Native American content in the curriculum. The native language of the tribe is taught in only 43 percent of the schools attended by tribally-affiliated Indian students, but in 90 percent of these schools, native language instruction begins before grade 4. Respondents also identified the priority educational needs of their tribe, the principal obstacles to educational achievement of Indian children, and the principal motivators for educational achievement of Indian children on reservations. Seven educational policy recommendations are offered. Appendix compiles questionnaire responses and comparisons to 1990 data. (SV)
Publication Type: Reports - Research; Tests/Questionnaires
Education Level: N/A
Audience: N/A
Language: English
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: N/A