NotesFAQContact Us
Collection
Advanced
Search Tips
ERIC Number: ED411799
Record Type: Non-Journal
Publication Date: 1997
Pages: 86
Abstractor: N/A
Reference Count: N/A
ISBN: N/A
ISSN: N/A
Advanced Telecommunications and Computer Technologies in Georgia Public Elementary School Library Media Centers.
Rogers, Jackie L.
The purpose of this study was to determine what recent progress had been made in Georgia public elementary school library media centers regarding access to advanced telecommunications and computer technologies as a result of special funding. A questionnaire addressed the following areas: automation and networking of the school library media center and use of video distribution systems, telecommunications and satellite access, faculty development, short-term technology planning, and funding sources for technology. Of the 298 survey questionnaires mailed to elementary library media specialists, a total of 214 usable surveys were returned. Results are reported in tables showing percentages and frequency of responses. Almost 40% of public elementary schools had automated the library media center and 61% had implemented a video distribution system prior to 1993-94, which was before the state began using lottery funds for education. Lottery appropriations funded implementation of automated library systems in 51% of Georgia's elementary SLMCs, installation of video distribution systems in almost 29% and satellite dish installations for distance learning capabilities in 92% of the elementary schools. Internet service was available in 63% of the elementary schools, and the remaining 37% were waiting to receive access by 1998. Networked resources were available in the library media centers in 87% of the elementary schools, in student labs in 56% of the schools, and in at least some classrooms in 70% of the schools. Since 1993, this special education funding from the Georgia lottery has enabled schools to implement some technologies, such as satellite dish installation, distance learning capabilities, and networked resources, sooner than would have been possible without such appropriations. The study also indicates the critical importance of maintaining adequate and dependable educational funding from local and state government sources for the continued use of advanced telecommunications and computer technologies in classroom instruction. A map of Georgia counties and the survey are appended. (Contains 47 references.) (Author)
Publication Type: Dissertations/Theses - Practicum Papers; Tests/Questionnaires
Education Level: N/A
Audience: N/A
Language: English
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: N/A
Identifiers - Location: Georgia