NotesFAQContact Us
Collection
Advanced
Search Tips
ERIC Number: ED410997
Record Type: RIE
Publication Date: 1997-Apr-22
Pages: 6
Abstractor: N/A
Reference Count: N/A
ISBN: N/A
ISSN: N/A
Silicon and Ivy: Enhancing California's Workforce and Educational Goals through the Corporate College Model.
Thompson, Ingrid
Employers have begun to see that one of the keys to corporate success is a workforce of adaptable and agile learners who are constantly upgrading skills. While a gap currently exists between employer needs and qualified employees in the marketplace, businesses have shown themselves to be willing to fill unmet needs. Over 1,000 corporate colleges have been founded to date and many corporations are hiring chief learning officers. Community colleges should consider establishing corporate colleges since they can generally accomplish the task more cost-effectively than corporations and have experience creating learning environments for adults. California's West Valley Mission Community College has established a corporate college program that provides support services at company sites; ensures that paperwork, instructional materials, and grades are delivered to the workplace in a timely fashion; and meets the academic and financial needs of students. Four models of corporate college structure include the accelerated associates program, offering an established schedule of classes at company sites; the blended associates degree, providing 80% of the courses at company sites and requiring students to take the remaining 20% on campus; the consortia model, allowing students from various non-profit agencies and smaller companies to participate; and general education courses offered at a client site, with class schedules designed to meet the client's needs. (HAA)
Publication Type: Reports - Descriptive; Speeches/Meeting Papers
Education Level: N/A
Audience: N/A
Language: English
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: West Valley-Mission Community Coll. District, Saratoga, CA.
Note: Materials used in a presentation to "Technology in Education," a conference sponsored by the California Community Colleges Foundation (San Jose, CA, April 21-22, 1997).