NotesFAQContact Us
Collection
Advanced
Search Tips
ERIC Number: ED405920
Record Type: Non-Journal
Publication Date: 1996-Nov
Pages: 15
Abstractor: N/A
Reference Count: N/A
ISBN: N/A
ISSN: N/A
Underprepared Students: Enrollment and Achievement at PGCC. Enrollment Analysis EA97-3.
Prince George's Community Coll., Largo, MD. Office of Institutional Research and Analysis.
In fall 1996, Maryland's Prince George's Community College (PGCC) undertook an analysis of the number of underprepared students enrolled the college and their academic progress. Findings, based on outcomes for 1,596 students entering PGCC in fall 1996 who completed placement tests in reading, English composition, and mathematics, included the following: (1) 67% of the students needed remediation in at least one area, while 21% needed remediation in all three areas; (2) the percentage of the students needing remediation in mathematics was 57%, down from 61% in 1995; (3) 30% of the students needed remediation in reading, compared to 31% of the fall 1995 students, while 36% needed remediation in English composition, compared to 35% in fall 1995; (4) from fall 1992 to fall 1996, only 15 to 17% of PGCC's credit students were enrolled in developmental courses; (5) in fall 1996, enrollment in developmental courses generated 9,800 equated credit hours, or 11% of total college hours; (6) of the 2,387 degree-seeking students who entered PGCC in fall 1990, 28% had attained achiever status (i.e., graduated, transferred, or attained sophomore status in good standing) after 4 years; and (8) 28% of these students who needed remediation in one area attained achiever status, compared to 17% of those needing remediation in two areas, and 11% of those needing remediation in three areas. (HAA)
Publication Type: Reports - Research
Education Level: N/A
Audience: N/A
Language: English
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: Prince George's Community Coll., Largo, MD. Office of Institutional Research and Analysis.