ERIC Number: ED368311
Record Type: Non-Journal
Publication Date: 1994-Apr
Reference Count: N/A
Are College Students Disposed to Think?
Facione, Peter A.; And Others
This study explored the disposition of college students toward critical thinking. The California Critical Thinking Disposition Inventory (CCTDI) was given to 586 freshmen in 1992 at a selective, private, urban, comprehensive university. The CCTDI is comprised of seven scales to assess inquisitiveness, open-mindedness, systematicity, analyticity, truth-seeking, critical thinking, self-confidence, and maturity. Of these students, only 13 percent scored positively on all seven scales while the other 87 percent were disposed against at least one of the seven aspects of critical thinking. The most common profile among the sample was of the student who showed a positive disposition toward all six aspects except truth-seeking. Additional data sets were also obtained, one of 198 freshmen and sophomores at a selective, public, urban comprehensive university in California and a cross-departmental sample of undergraduates and graduates in a school of allied health at an open-admissions, public, rural, comprehensive university. As with the original sample, students were positive toward open-mindedness and inquisitiveness, weak in systematicity, and had a strong disinclination to truth-seeking. A detailed discussion of future research avenues is offered. (Contains 60 references.) (JB)
Descriptors: Attitude Measures, College Freshmen, College Students, Critical Thinking, Graduate Students, Higher Education, Private Colleges, State Colleges, Student Attitudes, Student Characteristics, Thinking Skills
California Academic Press, 217 La Cruz Avenue, Milbrae, CA 94030 ($10).
Publication Type: Reports - Research
Education Level: N/A
Authoring Institution: N/A
Identifiers - Assessments and Surveys: California Critical Thinking Disposition Inventory