NotesFAQContact Us
Collection
Advanced
Search Tips
ERIC Number: ED363751
Record Type: Non-Journal
Publication Date: 1993-Jul
Pages: 35
Abstractor: N/A
Reference Count: N/A
ISBN: N/A
ISSN: N/A
Professionalization of Adult Basic Education.
Pierce, W. Lee; And Others
Adult basic education is critical to the future of the state of Mississippi. However, the state contributes only 8.5 percent of funding for adult education (the remaining 91.5 percent comes from federal sources) to serve less than 2.3 percent of the eligible population. Furthermore, Mississippi loses up to one-third of its potential high school graduates between grades 9 and 12. A curriculum for the education of adults who did not receive public school education is needed. Meanwhile, adult basic education is striving for recognition as a profession but is suffering from an identity crisis. Foster (1988) lists possible remedies to facilitate the recovery of adult literacy. These treatments are ensconced in quality standards grouped into four categories: (1) what should be taught; (2) who will be taught; (3) methods and techniques; and (4) assessment and evaluation. Foster has also proposed a blueprint for action that includes the following: exposure of adult literacy staff to state-of-the-art knowledge, staff accountability for meeting quality standards, specific staff training programs, competitive compensation levels, and certification. (Contains 18 references and an appendix detailing years of formal schooling completed, by county.) (YLB)
Publication Type: Information Analyses
Education Level: N/A
Audience: N/A
Language: English
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: University of Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburg.
Identifiers - Location: Mississippi