NotesFAQContact Us
Collection
Advanced
Search Tips
ERIC Number: ED363750
Record Type: Non-Journal
Publication Date: 1993-Jul
Pages: 38
Abstractor: N/A
Reference Count: N/A
ISBN: N/A
ISSN: N/A
Adult Basic Education Methodology and Curriculum.
Pierce, W. Lee; And Others
As Mississippi approaches the 21st century and an increasingly more competitive business climate, the state should be prepared to develop its most precious business asset--its work force. According to 1990 data, Mississippi contributes only 8.5 percent of funding for adult education (the remaining 91.5 percent comes from federal sources) to serve less than 2.3 percent of the eligible population. Furthermore, Mississippi loses up to one-third of its potential high school graduates between grades 9 and 12. Mississippians in households that receive public assistance function at appreciably lower levels of proficiency than those which receive no public assistance. Mississippi must develop a curriculum for the education of those individuals who have not received a public school education. Historically, three approaches have been used to instruct adults: coding and decoding, competency-based instruction, and "portable skills." However, if the question is not one of methodology but rather one of instructional technique to enhance learning in adults, perhaps computer-assisted instruction (CAI) is the innovation that adult education requires. CAI is not a substitute for individual facilitator and learner interaction. The human relationship aspect of the adult basic education program is fundamental to the use of its techniques, methods, and materials. Teachers must also have the flexibility to try different methods with different people. (Contains 24 references and an appendix detailing years of formal schooling completed, by county.) (YLB)
Publication Type: Information Analyses
Education Level: N/A
Audience: N/A
Language: English
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: University of Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburg.
Identifiers - Location: Mississippi