ERIC Number: ED355115
Record Type: Non-Journal
Publication Date: 1992-Nov
Reference Count: N/A
Department of Education: The Eisenhower Math and Science State Grant Program. Report to the Chairman, Subcommittee on Elementary, Secondary, and Vocational Education, Committee on Education and Labor, House of Representatives.
General Accounting Office, Washington, DC. Div. of Human Resources.
The Dwight D. Eisenhower Mathematics and Science Education Program is the largest federal program for training elementary and secondary teachers in mathematics and science. It has two major components: the national program provides funding for projects of national significance and the state grant program allocates 75% of the funds to different types of state agencies and local school districts and the remaining 25% to the state agency for higher education. This document reports on: (1) how state grant funds are spent, (2) how experts view proposed improvements to the program, (3) how well the Department of Education collects and analyzes data on the program, and (4) how the various federal agencies sponsoring math and science education programs coordinate their efforts. The report concludes that the predominately short-term math and science training provided by the Eisenhower state grant program at the district level may not contribute significantly to achieving the national goal. Experts believe major changes in curriculums, instructional methods, and teacher expertise in math and science will be necessary to achieve the goal. Education program officials and experts believe that the Eisenhower program, which funds a significant amount of short-term training, cannot be expected to produce major changes. Nonetheless, many of the educators and experts see the program, as currently implemented, as very useful for several reasons. For many school districts, the Eisenhower program is the only source of funds for math and science training. Although short-term training may not cause significant changes in teaching, it can play an important role in enhancing teachers' awareness of new knowledge and teaching methods. Also, the program provides the flexibility for districts to provide various training programs to accommodate different teacher training needs. About 17 percent of the school districts did not apply for funds for the 1989-90 school year even thought they were eligible. Many of these districts would have received very small funding amounts, which they did not believe would be worth the time and resources needed to apply for and report on the grants. Current data are not available to allow policy makers to assess the impact of the Eisenhower program. Education has been slow to collect and analyze the state reports to be used to fulfill this requirement. In addition, the state reports have been found to have many errors, format inconsistencies, and variations in the amount and quality of information reported. The appendices--half of the document report: (1) the scope and methodology to determine how funds were spent; (2) the allocation of funds; (3) how funds were used; (4) lengths of training provided by participating districts by state (school year 1989-90); (5) school district participtation by state; (6) comments on the draft report from the Department of Education; and (7) a list of the major contributors to the report. (MDH)
Descriptors: Educational Change, Educational Improvement, Elementary Secondary Education, Federal Aid, Federal Programs, Financial Support, Inservice Teacher Education, Mathematics Education, Postsecondary Education, Professional Development, Program Evaluation, Science Education, State Federal Aid, Teacher Education
U.S. General Accounting Office, P.O. Box 6015, Gaithersburg, MD 20877 (first copy, free; additional copies, $2; make check or money order out to Superintendent of Documents).
Publication Type: Reports - Evaluative
Education Level: N/A
Authoring Institution: General Accounting Office, Washington, DC. Div. of Human Resources.