ERIC Number: ED335541
Record Type: Non-Journal
Publication Date: 1991
Reference Count: N/A
The Eight Percent Dividend. Exemplary JTPA/Vocational Education "Eight Percent" Projects.
Ohio State Council on Vocational Education, Westerville.
Ohio's use of the Job Training Partnership Act (JTPA) 8 percent set-aside has been noted as exemplary. The first half of this report reviews the national literature on 8 percent JTPA programs, then discusses Ohio's State Education Coordination and Grants Advisory Council (SECGAC), unique among state administrative mechanisms. It notes that SECGAC has developed and publicized a consistent policy regarding how 8 percent funds should and should not be used. The second half of the report contains brief sketches of 19 exemplary programs in three groups corresponding to the three paths along which Ohio allocates the money: 80 percent by formula to the 30 JTPA service delivery agencies for long-term training; 20 percent of that 80 percent to four state departments to help institutionalized people make the transition to the world of work; and the remaining 20 percent as seed money for linkage and coordination activities. The study concludes that the Ohio efforts are sincere, systematic, and creative efforts to use 8 percent funds for their intended purpose: to foster cooperation among agencies serving those who need training for employment. The study recommended that other states copy Ohio's example and that the federal government do less in such programs in terms of regulations. (12 references) (KC)
Descriptors: Advisory Committees, Agency Cooperation, Compliance (Legal), Cooperative Programs, Demonstration Programs, Disadvantaged, Education Work Relationship, Employment Programs, Federal Programs, Federal State Relationship, Job Training, Linking Agents, Postsecondary Education, Program Implementation, Secondary Education, State Programs
Publication Type: Reports - Descriptive
Education Level: N/A
Authoring Institution: Ohio State Council on Vocational Education, Westerville.
Identifiers - Location: Ohio
Identifiers - Laws, Policies, & Programs: Job Training Partnership Act 1982