ERIC Number: ED315026
Record Type: Non-Journal
Publication Date: 1988-Nov
Reference Count: N/A
Changing Patterns of Finance in Higher Education. Country Study: Spain.
Molto, Tomas; And Others
The report examines trends and issues concerned with the financing of higher education in Spain especially since 1983 when the University Reform Law was passed. Most universities are public with private institutions playing only a minor role. The recent constant growth rate is not expected to slow despite a decline in demographic growth. A modification of degree structures and requirements is currently underway. Public allocations support 80% of the universities' direct costs, while the other 20% is financed student academic fees. Student aid is being slowly expanded. Increased university autonomy and major changes in procedures for preparing and managing university budgets have resulted from the law which also encourages universities to find new financing channels through contracts with external groups and to organize doctorate level courses as a "third cycle" of courses. Research funding is expected to undergo major change with the implementation of the National Plan for Scientific Research and Technological Development. The report details data leading to these conclusions in five chapters and three annexes. (DB)
Descriptors: Access to Education, Delivery Systems, Educational Economics, Educational Finance, Educational Legislation, Enrollment Trends, Financial Policy, Financial Problems, Foreign Countries, Government Role, Higher Education, State Universities, Trend Analysis
OECD, 2, rue Andre Pascal, 75775 Paris CEDEX 16 France.
Publication Type: Reports - Research
Education Level: N/A
Authoring Institution: Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development, Paris (France).
Identifiers - Location: Spain