NotesFAQContact Us
Collection
Advanced
Search Tips
ERIC Number: ED314342
Record Type: Non-Journal
Publication Date: 1989-Apr-30
Pages: 15
Abstractor: N/A
Reference Count: N/A
ISBN: N/A
ISSN: N/A
Spontaneous Concern about Nuclear War: Value Priority Differences in Adolescents.
Mayton, Dan
The devastation of a nuclear confrontation between the superpowers would clearly change the world in catastrophic ways. The purpose of this study was to identify differences in the value priorities for individuals who spontaneously expressed a concern about nuclear war and those who did not. A written questionnaire was administered to a sample of 5,128 adolescents from grades 6 through 12 in the rural inland Northwest. This questionnaire included the Rokeach Value Survey (RVS) and the Spontaneous Concern about the Nuclear Threat Scale (SCANTS). A total of 24.3 percent of the adolescents expressed concern about nuclear war on the SCANTS and the remaining 75.7 percent did not. Using the Mann-Whitney U statistic, 10 of the 18 value priorities were found to significantly differentiate the two groups. Adolescents who expressed concern about a nuclear war placed higher priorities on the social values of equality and a world at peace. Adolescents who did not express a concern about nuclear war placed higher priorities on the individual values of health, a comfortable life, self-respect, an exciting life, wisdom, mature love, pleasure, and inner harmony. The results are discussed in terms of belief system theory and theories of social cognition. The document includes one statistical table and an 11-item bibliography. (Author/JB)
Publication Type: Speeches/Meeting Papers; Reports - Research
Education Level: N/A
Audience: Researchers
Language: English
Sponsor: Department of Education, Washington, DC.
Authoring Institution: N/A
Identifiers - Assessments and Surveys: Rokeach Value Survey