NotesFAQContact Us
Collection
Advanced
Search Tips
ERIC Number: ED312178
Record Type: Non-Journal
Publication Date: 1989-Apr-30
Pages: 13
Abstractor: N/A
Reference Count: N/A
ISBN: N/A
ISSN: N/A
Value Priority Differences across Levels of Nuclear Threat Concern.
Mayton, Dan
Nuclear confrontation between the superpowers would clearly change the world in catastrophic ways. The purpose of this study was to identify differences in the value priorities of individuals who spontaneously expressed a concern about nuclear war and those who did not. A written questionnaire was administered to adolescents (N=5,435) from grades 6 through 12 in the rural inland northwest. This questionnaire included the Rokeach Value Survey (RVS) and the Spontaneous Concern about the Nuclear Threat Scale (SCANTS). A total of 24.3 percent of the adolescents expressed concern about nuclear war on the SCANTS while the remaining 75.7 percent did not. Using the Mann-Whitney U statistic, 10 of the 18 value priorities were found to significantly differentiate between the two groups. Adolescents who expressed concern about a nuclear war placed higher priorities on the social values of equality and world peace. Adolescents who did not express a concern about nuclear war placed higher priorities on the individual values of health, a comfortable life, self-respect, an exciting life, wisdom, mature love, pleasure, and inner harmony. The results are discussed in terms of belief system theory. One table and an 11-item bibliography are included. (JB)
Publication Type: Speeches/Meeting Papers; Reports - Research
Education Level: N/A
Audience: N/A
Language: English
Sponsor: Department of Education, Washington, DC.
Authoring Institution: N/A
Identifiers - Assessments and Surveys: Rokeach Value Survey