NotesFAQContact Us
Collection
Advanced
Search Tips
ERIC Number: ED308092
Record Type: Non-Journal
Publication Date: 1987-Nov-30
Pages: 65
Abstractor: N/A
Reference Count: N/A
ISBN: N/A
ISSN: N/A
A History of the City of Sydney Public Library.
Hinsch, Neil
The Sydney Public Library began as the Australian Subscription Library and Reading Room which opened in Sydney on December 1, 1827, with 1,000 volumes. The Municipal Council of Sydney took possession of the library in 1909. The library evolved from a closed access, fixed shelf position library to an open access system in 1910. A complete retrospective conversion to the Dewey system was achieved by 1933. Over the years the library initiated a newspaper reading room, a juvenile collection, a children's room, an inquiry desk, a bindery, and various other features, mirroring the development of public libraries, especially in the United States and Great Britain. Public support for public libraries was limited until the 1930s, with public libraries being viewed as a luxury. The Free Library Movement of that time helped to solidify support for such institutions. The years following World War II brought more change with the opening of several branches in the suburbs around the city and a resultant rise in circulation. In December, 1976 cataloging and circulation were computerized, and microfiche catalogs were produced until June, 1986, when the library went to an online catalog and circulation system. Budgetary and circulation data are given throughout the document, and a bibliography of 29 items is provided. (PPB)
Publication Type: Dissertations/Theses - Masters Theses; Historical Materials
Education Level: N/A
Audience: N/A
Language: English
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: N/A
Identifiers - Location: Australia