NotesFAQContact Us
Collection
Advanced
Search Tips
ERIC Number: ED299440
Record Type: RIE
Publication Date: 1987
Pages: 10
Abstractor: N/A
Reference Count: N/A
ISBN: N/A
ISSN: N/A
The New Labor Force or Where Will We All Be in the Year 2000.
Wolfbein, Seymour L.
VRI Monograph, v1 n1 1987
Many dramatic changes in the U.S. labor force are projected to occur around the turn of the century. For the first time, the United States will have an age cohort in the work force with equal representation by sex, that is, 50-50 for men and women aged 16 to 24 in the labor force. It is projected that in the year 2000 there will be 2.6 million fewer 16- to 24-year-olds in the work force than in 1980. Thirty percent of all new workers will be minority group members (a 50 percent increase over 1980). If non-Hispanic white women are added to this group, the figure becomes 65 percent, thus leaving white males to account for only 35 percent of the work force. The trend toward early retirement is expected to continue. It is thus expected that in the year 2000 four out of every five American workers will be in their middle adult years (between 25 and 59). Women will account for about three out of every five workers, with the greatest increases in labor force participation being among women in the category "married with husband present." Minorities will account for two of every five workers. Another important factor is the general aging of the population. In contrast to the past, large numbers of young persons will not be available to fill all of the jobs vacated by older, more skilled workers. (MN)
Publication Type: Reports - Research; Collected Works - Serials
Education Level: N/A
Audience: N/A
Language: English
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: Philadelphia Jewish Employment and Vocational Service, PA. Vocational Research Inst.