NotesFAQContact Us
Collection
Advanced
Search Tips
PDF pending restoration PDF pending restoration
ERIC Number: ED296776
Record Type: RIE
Publication Date: 1987-Aug
Pages: 19
Abstractor: N/A
Reference Count: 0
ISBN: N/A
ISSN: N/A
Community College Transfers at UMCP. Research Brief 88-1.
Clagett, Craig A.
Information gathered by the Maryland State Board for Community Colleges and articulation staff at the University of Maryland, College Park (UNCP) was analyzed to assess the academic performance of transfer students from Prince George's Community College (PGCC) and to draw preliminary conclusions concerning retention through the bachelor's degree. In fall 1986, 1,254 former PGCC students were enrolled as undergraduates at UMCP. Of these students, 83% were in good academic standing, 10% had received unsatisfactory performance warnings, and 7% were dismissed at the end of the semester. The mean cumulative grade point average (GPA) of the PGCC transfer students was 2.48, somewhat below the mean GPA of 2.54 averaged by all community college transfers at UMCP. The former PGCC students had transferred an average of 43 credits to UMCP. An analysis of information concerning the 1,304 former PGCC students enrolled at UMCP in fall 1985 revealed the following: (1) 20% of the students were new to UMCP that fall, and more than 66% had been at the college for two years or less; (2) 46% of the students had transferred between 31 and 60 credits to the university; (3) 71% enrolled for 12 or more credit hours, with the remaining 29% attending part-time; (4) programs in business and social science were the most popular among the transfer students; (5) 81% of the transfer students were white; and (6) students who transferred more than 60 units had higher GPA's than students who transferred fewer than 60 units. (EJV)
Publication Type: Reports - Research
Education Level: N/A
Audience: N/A
Language: English
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: Prince George's Community Coll., Largo, MD. Office of Institutional Research and Analysis.