NotesFAQContact Us
Collection
Advanced
Search Tips
ERIC Number: ED294616
Record Type: RIE
Publication Date: 1988-Jan
Pages: 27
Abstractor: N/A
Reference Count: 0
ISBN: N/A
ISSN: N/A
Managing Contract Training Programs: Progress and Proposals. Institute for Studies in Higher Education Policy Paper No. 2.
Deegan, William L.
An overview is provided of community college involvement in providing job training for industry on a contract basis. Part 1 provides background on the changing role of community colleges and the introduction of contract training as a means of addressing the growing need of organizations to train and retrain staff. Part 2 offers a national perspective on the boom in training and development, indicating that only 57% of all employee training programs are provided in-house and listing the types of educational and non-school organizations offering the other 43% of employee training. This section also considers statewide efforts to address economic development needs. Part 3 presents a national profile of contract training in community colleges, using survey data to examine the organizational structures needed to deliver contract training, trends related to program sites and the college-credit status of courses, types of contract clients, problems, benefits, and perceptions of the future of contract training. Part 4 discusses issues in the management of contract training programs, including program organization, planning, finance, and evaluation. Finally, part 5 identifies policy issues related to the establishment of separate business institutes, the goals and limits of a center for contract training, separate advisory structures for representatives from business and the college, staffing needs, and financial policies. (EJV)
Publication Type: Reports - Descriptive
Education Level: N/A
Audience: Policymakers; Practitioners
Language: English
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: Florida State Univ., Tallahassee. Inst. for Studies in Higher Education.