NotesFAQContact Us
Collection
Advanced
Search Tips
ERIC Number: ED270763
Record Type: RIE
Publication Date: 1986-Aug
Pages: 23
Abstractor: N/A
Reference Count: 0
ISBN: N/A
ISSN: N/A
Economic Forces behind Newspapers' Increasing Use of Color and Graphics.
Kenney, Keith; Lacy, Stephen
Noting that technology in the field of graphics and printing has permitted greater use of color, photographs, and graphics by newspapers, a study examined the effects of economic factors such as newspaper competition and ownership on the actual use of new technology for color and graphics. The newspaper sample, stratified on the basis of ownership and market structure, included 113 daily newspapers from 39 states and the District of Columbia for one randomly constructed representative week in November 1984. Content analysis began with measurement of the total content area of each newspaper front page, minus the area for the nameplate. The quantity and area of all graphic elements were measured, as was the area of color. The analysis revealed that maps, photographs, charts, and illustrations represented 27% of the front page's total area. Color was used by 32% of the newspapers regularly, while 59% occasionally used some front page color. Results also showed that the number and area of graphics and space devoted to color increased with increased newspaper competition, but not with television competition. It was also found that as the size of group ownership increased, the number of graphics used on the front page increased. (HOD)
Publication Type: Reports - Research; Speeches/Meeting Papers
Education Level: N/A
Audience: N/A
Language: English
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: N/A
Note: Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (69th, Norman, OK, August 3-6, 1986).