NotesFAQContact Us
Collection
Advanced
Search Tips
ERIC Number: ED259406
Record Type: RIE
Publication Date: 1982
Pages: 34
Abstractor: N/A
Reference Count: 0
ISBN: N/A
ISSN: N/A
Communication Practices of Middle Managers and Technical Professionals in Four Large-Scale High-Technology Industries.
Mosvick, Roger K.
A communication activities audit was completed by managers and technicians (N=213) from four high technology industries in a study conducted to examine the scope and kinds of communication activities of these professionals. Respondents' responsibilities ranged from lower middle-management/technical professional to senior-level management/technical professional. The amount of general activities in which these respondents estimated they were involved each week was on the high side compared with findings of similar surveys taken in other environments. They reported that they were engaged in business related types of communication for approximately 83% of their working day, presumably spending the other 17% in nonbusiness, social, or personal activities. The dominant mode of communication for this group was oral communication of various kinds, in which they spent two-thirds of their total communication time, compared to one-third spent working in a written communication mode (writing, reading, or analyzing documents.) While interpersonal communication was ranked as most important to their jobs, the two activities that accounted for the least amount of time--small group communication and managerial and technical presentations--were ranked second and third in importance. (HTH)
Publication Type: Reports - Research
Education Level: N/A
Audience: N/A
Language: English
Sponsor: N/A
Authoring Institution: N/A