ERIC Number: ED227808
Record Type: Non-Journal
Publication Date: 1982-Dec
Reference Count: N/A
Degrees and Other Formal Awards Conferred by New Jersey Colleges & Universities, F.Y. 1982 and Recent Trends. ORM Volume 3: Brief Number 1. Data Brief Series.
New Jersey State Dept. of Higher Education, Trenton. Office of Research.
The 1982 data on degrees and other awards conferred by New Jersey colleges and universities are presented, and historical trends are analyzed. For each institution, information is presented on the number of degrees conferred by type of degree (e.g., associate) and broad program category (e.g., business and management). In addition, historical trends for 1976-1977 through 1981-1982 are analyzed for both statewide and sector-aggregated data. Findings include the following: the total number of degrees in New Jersey increased slightly from 44,790 in 1981 to 45,357 in 1982. This single-year increase reversed a trend of annual decreases since 1977 in the number of degrees conferred. The public colleges and universities awarded 71 percent of all degrees and other formal awards conferred in 1982, and the independent colleges conferred the remaining 29 percent. The independent sector awarded a smaller proportion of its degrees at the baccalaureate level and below, and a higher proportion at the master's and doctoral levels, in comparison with the public sector. Degrees awarded in education, liberal arts, mathematics, and natural sciences decreased at all levels, while certificates and degrees in business, computer science, and engineering and architecture experienced significant growth. (SW)
Descriptors: Bachelors Degrees, Degrees (Academic), Doctoral Degrees, Educational Certificates, Higher Education, Majors (Students), Masters Degrees, Private Colleges, State Colleges, State Surveys, Trend Analysis
New Jersey Department of Higher Education, Trenton, NJ 08625.
Publication Type: Numerical/Quantitative Data; Reports - Descriptive
Education Level: N/A
Authoring Institution: New Jersey State Dept. of Higher Education, Trenton. Office of Research.
Identifiers - Location: New Jersey